Everyone with a toddler knows that it can be hard to get veggies in every day! Shilo started out a healthy eater, but now that he is a “grown up” at 18 months he thinks he can start denying all the good stuff ;). Nothing is more rewarding than the ultimate mom-trickery….. Sneaking veggies into “dessert” hehe.
Lets be honest when I make muffins I end up eating most of them myself… Which is why I made this recipe gluten free & dairy free as well! There are lots of modifications you can make to match your pantry and/or preferences.
carrot chocolate-chip muffins
gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free
- 1 c gluten-free baking flour
- 1 c gluten-free rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 – 1 c fresh grated carrot
- 1 egg
- 1 c almond milk
- 1/4 pure grade A maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c mini “enjoy life” dairy-free chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
** to make this recipe NOT gluten free, simply use normal flour in place of gluten free or almond flour.
** to make oat flour, simply grind rolled oats in a blender, magic bullet or food processor, I usually just “pulse” it so that it has small chunks of oats for a more fibrous consistency.
** optional add-ins/modifications:
- sub carrots with grated zucchini or grated apple
- sub chocolate chips with raisins, walnuts, slivered almonds, etc.
- sub maple syrup with honey, or coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper muffin cups or grease pan with oil.
- Combine all dry ingredients. Add grated carrots and combine. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients together and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin, equally. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted leaves the muffin clean.
- Remove muffin pan and allow to cool for 20 minutes before consuming. Good in the fridge for 5-7 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Hope you and your babies enjoy! Xoxo.